Exhale recruits talented leaders on an ongoing basis to address a wide variety of organizational goals and needs. Many positions are filled on an as-needed basis, while others, such as our Counselor Program and Board positions, are recruited on a regular schedule. Volunteering or working at Exhale is not the only way to grow the Pro-Voice Movement. Please visit our Pro-Voice Community page for additional resources on what you can do.
National Engagement Manager (NEM)
Exhale is seeking a strong candidate with communications and fundraising experience for a rare opportunity to join our dynamic and growing team as National Engagement Manager.
About Exhale: Exhale is an award-winning, national organization whose mission is to create a social climate where each person’s unique experience with abortion is respected, supported, and free from stigma. Through direct services, leadership development and communications, Exhale’s pro-voice movement is transforming public dialogue about abortion. We are based in downtown Oakland, California.
You could be Exhale’s National Engagement Manager if you have:
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal, and online communication skills
- Exceptional writing and copy editing skills
- An enterprising, can-do confident, attitude; not easily overwhelmed
- Creative and independent problem-solving and multi-tasking skills; solution-oriented approach to opportunities and challenges
- Strong project management and follow-through; ability to report on progress of projects
- Ability to “manage-up” as needed
- Tech savvy and familiarity with donor management/engagement systems, social media, web development, editing software (i.e., Photoshop)
- Proven track record of success in program/project implementation, fundraising execution, donor engagement and management
- Ability to fulfill responsibilities with high standards in customer service in support of Exhale’s core values and mission
- A minimum of four years previous experience in fundraising and/or online marketing and communications
- Bachelor's degree
Position Overview: Reporting to the Deputy Director, working closely with Executive Director and collaborating with Staff, Board of Directors, Volunteers, and Consultants.
The NEM focuses on two core areas: expanding pro-voice communications and expanding and escalating individual grassroots fundraising. Day-to-day focus will be in execution of Exhale’s strategies; relationship building with donors, staff and Board, and vendors and consultants; representing Exhale publicly; leveraging automation via Salesforce, Drupal (web content management system) and other tools; and project management. This position has great possibilities for growth, particularly with an upcoming book and film in the works, and offers the opportunity to help guide the overall evolution of Exhale.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Meet annual communications and movement building goals, including individual grassroots fundraising goals
- Plan, execute, and maintain strategies to grow Exhale’s community of supporters, particularly online, then expand and escalate donor engagement
- Support Deputy Director with creative planning for fundraising and engagement activities including traditional tactics like direct mail and email solicitation
- Administer, curate, and publish valuable content for Exhale’s online presence and community; tracking, analyzing, and responding to web analytics and metrics
- Maintain and oversee development and related data, reports and dashboards, and processes in Salesforce
- Manage grassroots donor information and support internal communications around fundraising, including escalation of major donor prospects or major donors to Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Board
Major expected outcomes include:
- Expansion of pro-voice knowledge and communications online/increased visibility of pro-voice
- Successful strategies to acquire new donors/supporters and engage, managed, and escalate the organization's existing donors
- Growing and guiding Exhale’s online and offline pro-voice community in accordance with organizational strategy
- Developing creative ways to increase participation/outcomes in individual grassroots fundraising program
Some travel may be required along with participation in evening and weekend work-related activities/events.
Compensation: Competitive salary and commensurate with experience. Benefits: Health/Dental Benefits, Retirement Benefits, Paid Holidays, Vacations, Life and/or Disability Insurance, Casual Dress.
Application Process: Candidates are invited to submit a resume, cover letter, and minimum of two professional references by March 7, 2014, to email@example.com - please be sure to put “National Engagement Manager” in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please. Due to the expected volume of applications, we will be unable to respond to each application.
Exhale is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply for open positions regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Become an After-Abortion Counselor!
"Being there for women and men who are processing any aspect of their abortion experience is purposeful, and it allows me to spend time with truly extraordinary people. Our callers are phenomenally brave, loving, and generous in spirit, and the Exhale staff and volunteer team are, too! It's a pleasure to give my time through Exhale." - Susan, Talkline Counselor
Exhale is now accepting applications to volunteer for our award-winning, national, multilingual, free, confidential, entirely unique and well-respected after-abortion talkline.
- Are you seeking a rewarding volunteer experience?
- Would you be excited to develop and practice counseling skills?
- Would you like to take leadership to bring peace to the abortion wars by connecting with real people in a compassionate way?
- Would you like to join an innovative organization with a national impact?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the Exhale Peer Counselor Program may be the perfect place for you! We provide excellent training, valuable experience, a dynamic community and leadership opportunities to those accepted into our program.
Our next 60-hour training begins March 29th, and meets on select Tuesdays and Thursdays (6pm-9pm) and Saturdays (10am-4pm) through May 22nd. Applicants should be able to attend training sessions in downtown Oakland, CA and make a 12-month service commitment after training ends. PLEASE NOTE: The training location is different from our mailing address.
Role of volunteers: supporting women and their loved ones on the Exhale after-abortion talkline; practicing Pro-Voice listening and sharing.
Additional opportunities: We consider volunteers to be significant stakeholders in the organization. Volunteers have a variety of ways to give input and take leadership, from giving feedback to staff, becoming Pro-Voice Ambassadors, to formal Leadership Positions.
Bilingual volunteers are particularly encouraged to apply, especially those who speak Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Cantonese, and Mandarin. Stipends are offered to bilingual volunteers, and to parents needing childcare. Men are welcome, as the after-abortion talkline is available to both women and men.
If you're interested in working with us, fill out a volunteer application.
- After-Abortion Support
- Pro-Voice Community